WU is known as a pioneer in many areas: Innovation in teaching and research is one of WU’s trademarks. Its campus, with its unique architecture and state-of-the-art infrastructure, is a further expression of WU’s tradition as an innovator. With a comprehensive digitalization strategy for WU and a strong research focus on the digital economy, we continue to break new ground and are set to become a role model for taking responsibility in the digital economy in the coming years.
In its research and teaching, WU will be focusing intensively on the role of digital opportunities and the resulting transformation processes in business, the economy, and society as a whole
We see the digital economy as an interdisciplinary research field, and will be investigating the topic from business, legal, economic, and social perspectives. The knowledge generated by our research will be integrated into our teaching: A specialization at the bachelor’s level and a master’s program are being developed to train the experts needed in this field.
With the establishment of the Research Institute for Cryptoeconomics and our involvement in the Austrian Blockchain Center and the Center for Digital Production, we have already taken the first important steps towards transitioning to the digital economy at WU. Using the additional funding provided under the terms of the most recent Performance Agreement with the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research, we are currently recruiting internationally recognized researchers to support our research and teaching in the following positions:
- Digital Ecosystems
- Distributed Ledger Technology and Token Economics
- Marketing in a Digital Economy
- Strategic Business Analytics in the Digital Economy
- Microeconomics and Digitalization
- Macroeconomics and Digitalization
- Psychology and Business (Strategy, Innovation, Management Control)
- Business Law and Digitalization
- Labor and Social Law in Digitalization
- Houshold Finance
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Managing in a Digital Economy
WU’s digitalization strategy
For us to live up to our pioneering role in research and teaching, digitalization must also become a way of life at WU itself. In 2019, we drew up a digitalization strategy that will allow us to create an innovative technological infrastructure for the entire WU community. The strategy includes:
- Providing a high-availability infrastructural basis for excellent research that supports methods such as the analysis and processing of large amounts of data or deep learning
- Creating an innovative, creative teaching and learning environment for students and teachers to enhance WU’s unique physical campus with attractive digital features
- Introducing digital processes that combine security, availability, efficiency, and effectiveness to increase convenience for students, faculty, and staff
We will be achieving this through a transformation process that encourages the participation of WU’s faculty and staff as well as external stakeholders. The implementation of the digitalization strategy is based on the following key elements:
- WU’s central IT infrastructure provides high-level, state-of-the-art IT services which are centrally operated, standardized, stable, and reliable. The focus is on customer service and user friendliness.
- All members of the WU community (teachers, researchers, administrative staff, and students) are invited to actively participate in an innovation program to develop and promote new ideas and services.